Inscrit le: 15 Avr 2016
Moyenne de points: 1,00
|Posté le: Mar 20 Juin - 05:28 (2017) Sujet du message: Raspberry And Blackberry Production Guide Download Epub Mo
Growing raspberries and blackberries is not easy. To succeed, you must be a good horticulturist, labor manager, pest manager, and marketer. Below are some questions to consider before embarking in the bramble business. The information in this guide will help you answer the questions.
1. How do you plan to market the berries? (Perhaps the biggest cause of failure among growers is not lanning adequately for marketing the berries.)
2. Are your facilities adequate for the type of marketing you plan to do? For example, do you have cooling facilities for wholesaling or a parking area for pick-your-own customers?
3. Is the soil in your area appropriate for growing berries? Can it be amended to support berry production?
4. Is the soil sufficiently drained?
5. Do you have a large enough water supply for irrigation?
6. Does your land slope enough to allow for air drainage, but not so much that it is difficult to work?
7. Do you have sufficient capital resources to invest in berries, about $5,000 per acre for fall aspberries and $7,000 per acre for summer raspberries? (Keep in mind that a return on investment will be many years away.)
8. Do you have the personal skills necessary to manage laborers and greet customers?
9. Where will you obtain labor during the busy picking season?
10. Do you have land for future expansion and crop rotation?
11. Is your family willing to commit to berry production? (Growing brambles may entail foregoing a summer vacation; working during harvest; and, if retailing, opening the farm to the public.)
12. Have you checked local ordinances regarding zoning, parking, signs, noise, riparian rights, etc., to see if they might conflict with your plans for berry production?
13. Are you set up to keep track of input expenses, payroll, pesticide applications, employee records, yield records, and perhaps customer mailing lists?
14. Have you started a library of resources?
15. Are you certified to apply pesticides?
16. If retailing, have you evaluated your farm’s location in relation to population centers, offroad parking, visibility, and competition? Will customers be able to find your farm easily?
17. Have you inquired about membership in state or province and national grower organizations ,for example, the North American Bramble Growers Association?
bound: 423 pages
publisher: Smashword (April 20, 2017)
filesize: 6872 KB